"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The beginning


James and I decided to start a blog a couple of months ago, but couldn't decide on a title for it. Then, one day I was thinking about the origin of my maiden name and realized something very interesting. Harper originally belonged to a person who played the harp or made harps. Crowther originally belonged to someone who played the crwth, which is a Welsh name for the instrument in the picture. It's kind of a cousin to a violin, I think. That's what I gather anyway. Apparently it's an old instrument that very few play anymore. Click here to hear what it sounds like.

So how cool is that? After I explained to James that our children are destined to be string players, we decided that the title of our blog has to be "When Two Strings Come Together..." So far, since we've combined these two string names, life has been great, and we want to share it with any who may be interested. It is quite humorous at times...
Right now, James is about to land in Shang Hai, China to spend the semester studying Chinese and learning about business there. We're really excited for the great adventures that await him. Meanwhile, I'm staying busy by working full time and taking two classes at BYU. James and I are competing to see who can have the most interesting experiences. We'll keep you posted on how that competition goes.

3 comments:

Meagan said...

Hooray! I've been wondering how you are doing. You are working full time? Wow. What are you doing? How is life without James? You are so brave, I don't know that I could do it. If you need to chat, call me any time! Also, I think your blog name is pretty cool.

James and Shawna said...

I love this! Heidi, you are so creative and smart! I miss you and hope you're doing well! Love you both!

Noelle said...

I'm looking forward to more of your great adventures, I'll email you an invite to our blog too. :)