"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Monday, March 8, 2010

Camping Trip

We decided to go camping one night but being our first trip, we have a bit to learn, and more supplies to get. Adam and I had a ball buying the groceries and planning the meals. We had everything ready to go when James got home from work on Friday night, so we packed up grabbed Jenny and headed out to some canyon. It was such a pretty drive!
Here's James and Jenny setting up the tent. It took us forever to pick a site, and then forever longer to decide exactly where to put the tent. I think we switched spots three times.

It also took us forever to find firewood because we didn't bring any, thinking we would find some around the campsite but guess what? Utah is a desert! We did find this nice log to sit on though.

We did remember to bring newspaper for a fire starter. Unfortunately James hadn't finished reading them...

Here we are doing our smores and banana boats. They turned out so, so good. You just stuff a banana with chocolate chips and marshmallows, wrap in foil and leave in coals for about 5 to 10 minutes. It's heavenly.

Here I am in the tent. This was an adventure because I didn't want to bring back a bunch of smoky blankets so I only took four, one for each of us. Haha! We froze!

Here are Jenny and I freezing together. That was exciting. We never expected it to get so cold, but we survived! And next time, we'll bring more blankets.

For breakfast, we brought sausage already browned and made sausage gravy and toasted biscuits over the fire. It was so tasty. We definitely had enough food, just needed more foresight in the blanket category.

James got up plenty early to get the fire going. The truth is, he didn't sleep very well as he was on the end and freezing.

Oh yeah, we had hot chocolate, too. Adam doesn't look cold does he?

James and Adam put the tent away while Jenny and I cleaned up the food. We had to hurry back to civilization so James could be on his conference call by 9am. It was a quick camping trip, but we were ready to be in the warm car...

P.S. My parents got me a sleeping bag for my birthday. I love it and now I'm ready to go camping without freezing.

2 comments:

Meagan said...

You went camping w/o sleeping bags! I can't believe you survived. I am cold just thinking about it. Also, I really want to try that banana boat thing.

Adam said...

I really enjoyed that camping trip Heidi it was really fun!