"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Monday, October 6, 2008

Greatest news ever!

The General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was this last weekend. (General Conference is a series of church-like meetings that are broadcast from Salt Lake City to the entire world of church members. The speakers are always chosen from the church leadership bodies, and this conference happens twice each year - once in April and once in October.) I sat in my apartment all day Saturday and scrapbooked while I listened to conference. It rained the whole day and was just a beautiful, relaxing, and uplifting day. The best part of the whole conference on Saturday was the announcement of five new temples: one in Cordoba Argentina, Calgary Alberta Canada, Philadelphia Pennsylvania, Rome Italy, and the Greater Kansas City area!!! I have no idea where exactly in Kansas City, because they haven't released that information yet, but how exciting is that!?!?!? For my family, it's not really a lot closer than the Winter Quarters Temple in Omaha, Nebraska. However, for the Topeka stake and half of our Hiawatha branch, it's tons closer! That new temple is just an indicator of how the church is growing in that area and a hope for how it will grow in the near future. I am sure it won't be finished for 12-18 months or even longer from now, but when they do get it finished, I am definitely going home to go to the open house and maybe even the dedication. What a wonderful, wonderful day! If anyone is interested in seeing the other temples and their locations around the world, click here to go to a web site with all of them listed. I added a couple photos from our wedding day at the Albuquerque, New Mexico temple. The one of my family is in the back of the temple, and the others of just James and I are in the front. Beautiful, isn't it?

3 comments:

James and Shawna said...

I thought of you when that temple was announced! I'm so excited!

Mary said...

I was so used to reading James's posts that I thought it was him writing for a minute. I was impressed with his craftiness when I thought it was him scrapbooking. It makes more sense now that I realize this post is from Heidi. Ha!

Meagan said...

Yay! I missed the announcement, we were out canvassing for Prop. 8, but when I heard I was so excited for you. I hope you are doing well!