"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Monday, January 24, 2011

Temple Excitement

Here is something to get excited about!

Those who have grown up in the Midwest know what it's like to make a weekend trip out of attending the temple. Granted, I do have fond memories of taking a big bus, staying in a hotel, and seeing the zoo and science museum along the way to the temple. But, how wonderful it will be to live so close to the temple and be able to attend often! There are two temples that James and I are particularly excited to see complete and dedicated: the Kansas City, Missouri Temple and the Indianapolis, Indiana Temple. Here's an update on both:

KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI
I grew up in the North-east corner of Kansas and right now our area is assigned to the Winter Quarters Temple in Omaha, NE. For my family, it's about the same distance to either the Winter Quarters or the Kansas City Temple, BUT for the Topeka and Lawrence members of our stake, it will be significantly closer. Their drive will go from 2-3 hours down to 1-2 hours. Super nice!

The temple is anticipated to be complete in 2012. I am planning to come to the open house when it is finished and before it is dedicated. Anyone and everyone, Mormon or not, is invited to the open house so put it in your plans if you live in the area. The temples are beautiful and worth seeing. Here's a link to photos of the temple as it is currently:

Kansas City Missouri LDS (Mormon) Temple Construction Photographs


INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA
Like many young men in our church, James served a two-year mission proselyting and teaching about our faith in the Indiana, Indianapolis Mission from May 2003 - May 2005. He says that his mission has been one of the most valuable stages of his life. He loves Indiana and the people there. He are hoping to go back and visit someday when we have both money and vacation on the same week. :D

This is our perfect opportunity to plan a visit. You can pretty well bet that we will be attending this temple's open house as well, although it won't be finished until 2013-ish. If anyone wants to go with us, we'll make a mission reunion out of it!

The site for this temple was just announced this last weekend. Here's a picture of the land it will be built on:
Indianapolis Indiana LDS (Mormon) Temple Site Photographs

Also, here is an article that I thought was wonderfully written about the church in Indiana and the purpose of temples. It is 99% accurate and has some great quotes from the members living there.
Plans to build temple in Carmel reflect Mormon growth

If you have more curiosity and questions about temples, check out THE OFFICIAL CHURCH WEBSITE ON TEMPLES.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Keep us posted! We've been stalking the LDS temple site on the two Arizona temples that have been announced. We plan on making it to one Open House as a family for a trip sometime.