"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Monday, January 31, 2011

For my Sophomore DT Roomies

I thought of you girls today and you're going to die when you find out why!

As I drove out of our apartment complex this morning, I saw that someone had dumped a couch into the garbage dumpster. That made me feel for the poor garbage guy who has to deal with that. People don't think of garbage men enough. A few days ago James and I took our trash out and there were 7 or 8 bags sitting in front of the dumpster and when we opened the bin to throw ours in, it was nearly empty. Why would someone be so lazy and make someone else do something that would have only cost them about 10 seconds and 3 calories??

Anyway, when I drove back home, I parked and was finishing listening to a song on the radio when I saw the garbage man drive up! Haha! So, I sat in the car and watched to see exactly how he was going to handle a couch-in-the-bin situation. It's not every day that that happens. And he sat and eyed it for a while - I think to intimidate it - and then just scooped it up with the big metal arms and dumped it in no problem. Amazing, eh?

I think garbage trucks are just so incredible! The bottom of the truck didn't even fall out when the couch fell in although I heard it bang and echo. This is probably the most functional and practical invention of our day.

Someday, I'm going to invent an electronic shopping cart (I know these exist but just wait for it...) that has arms and can just scoop things off the shelf and dump them over my head into the basket. Can you imagine how much fun shopping would be? Honestly, a smart grocery store chain owner should invent them and make all his groceries compatible with this process. People would buy way more than they need just for the sheer fun of scooping things up and dumping them in.

Then, when you get all done and go to pay, you could back up to the conveyor belt and just have it all dumped from the cart right onto the belt. Smart, eh?

Anyhow, that really was one of the highlights of my morning and I thought of you girls and how you would have made fun of me for this, so I guess I'm giving you the chance. Hehe!

2 comments:

Milko said...

so thoughtful of you to think of a garbage man! I see that kind of things happen all the time in our complex. Here is a thought for a service opportunity for me! To pick up others' bags and load up the dumpster for the garbage man.

James and Shawna said...

I laughed and laughed and then showed my coworker, told your stories, and laughed again! Heidi, I love you and miss you jumping out of bed to see the garbage man!