"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Justified Fear

Yesterday morning, I scared myself. But for good reason. Here's why:

I have never been a morning person. I am much more willing to be active and productive at 11PM or midnight than I am at 6AM. What can I say?

James has never been a late night person. His brain shuts off about 10PM and wakes right up at 6AM.

This could be a dangerous combination in a marriage. Ours has gone like this:

The first year we were married, I was still reluctant to make my sweet new hubby upset with me (I'm not too concerned about it now - hehe) and so I gave it an honest effort to get up early. The alarm worked fairly well that year.

By year two, I no longer heard the alarm. You know how you can get accustomed to sounds and learn to sleep right through them? I don't think I ever heard the alarm that year. However, I did wake right up to the sound of the shower turning on. That's when I knew I'd had my "ten more minutes" and it was time to get up.

Year three, he was in China for a while and it became my responsibility to wake myself up again (duh, right?). So, I did. But I woke up with just enough time to make myself publicly presentable and that's all.

Year four, I worked evening shift with Verizon Wireless, and didn't get to bed until 1AM so we both happily agreed I should sleep later.

Now we're in year five, and I don't sleep late, but I don't wake early either. James, however, still hears the alarm like it's the first time he's ever heard it and wakes up bright and early every morning. Plus, he's a pretty light sleeper - I can hardly get up to use the restroom at night without waking him.

I now have a new assignment in church teaching the Juniors the scriptures for seminary at 6AM every weekday morning. Need I say that James laughed at me when he heard? Now I need to get up between 4:30 and 5:00AM every day to be ready to teach a sleepy group of teens.

So, yesterday, I snoozed my own phone alarm until James' blaring alarm clock went off. I knew I couldn't sleep any longer and James hadn't gotten up to turn it off yet, so I got up and turned it off. I turned on the light and started to get ready. When I flushed our super noisy toilet I looked to see if James was awake ready to apologize for being so noisy, and realized he still had not stirred. I watched him in the mirror while I washed my hands and he wasn't even breathing. Or at least I thought he wasn't.

At that point, I began considering the possibility that he was dead. And I got scared. He's NEVER slept through the alarm, me getting up, the light, or the toilet and so sleeping through all of them together was frightening. So, naturally, I woke him up. Just to make sure. Hehe. Happily, he's still good and alive although maybe a bit exhausted. Haha, poor kid!

3 comments:

Untypically Jia said...

Whenever I think that Matt isn't breathing in his sleep, to test it without waking him up, I pull one of the hairs on his arms. LOL. It's enough to make him jerk a little, but not enough to fully wake him up.

Alana Tolley said...

Love the irony of the early morning seminary calling. Best of luck on that one!!

P.S. Loved the story too :)

Meagan said...

That was very funny. Derek is the opposite. A super heavy sleeper most of the time. When I have woken him in the night are some of the funniest experienes of our marriage.