To fully enjoy this blog post, you must read ALL the mentioned articles. Otherwise, you only get half the story and remain uninformed or only half-informed which is the problem I am trying to address in this blog post. Happy reading!
-------------------------------------------------------
Two things that need to be in the open before I start: I am a conservative. I am for Romney.
I am a conservative in the way that I believe government should be as small as possible while still fulfilling its duty to the people – that duty being protecting the people’s right to safety and right to success driven independent of the government. I also believe that while the government should be few in numbers, it should be strong in those numbers. There should be no doubt to anyone in the world that the United States government can indeed perform its duty as stated above.
I am for Romney for several reasons. One of those reasons is not because he, like me, is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (aka Latter-day Saint or Mormon). I do not believe in voting people into office based on religion since obviously we have had many great presidents in this country’s history who have never been Mormon or any one particular religion. The fact that he is a Latter-day Saint did do two things: it raised the expectations I had for him regarding his home and family life because I know what standards he professes to live by. This could only hurt my opinion of him because he had better live up to those standards now or I will most certainly lose respect for him. Secondly, his being a Latter-day Saint piqued my interest back in 2007 when I heard there was a Mormon running for President so I researched him and got involved in politics for the first time in my life.
Here’s what I learned about him while doing that research and why I continue to vote for Romney. I present them chronologically and not by strength of reasoning. My favorite reason for voting for Romney is actually reason #3. So don't quit prematurely.
1. His involvement with the Salt Lake City Olympics in 2002. The Winter Games were broke. They were in debt and ready to scrap the whole project when Romney was brought in to help with the financial side last minute. There has been some recent controversy about Romney’s involvement with the Olympics and there is a great article about both sides here: http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/18/10444876-salt-lake-city-olympics-earmarks-a-double-edged-sword-for-romney.
Yes, this article brings up what could be doubtful things about Romney’s position, but I am confident in advertising this article as it also shows Romney’s side of each position.
My opinion on funding the Olympics? It’s a national event; it should receive national funding. If the people don’t want their tax dollars to help fund the Olympics, then we should not host it. The Olympics are about the world coming together and participating in an event together to show off human accomplishment. The burden of cost for that is part of it and cannot be separated from the event.
Also, it is not the fault of any of the Olympics committee that the Olympics happened five months after the 9-11 attacks. Naturally, the Federal Government and the Olympics committee had an interest in added security (which includes added costs) to protect the world’s athletic ambassadors that were present there.
2. Romney’s initiation of mandated healthcare in Massachusetts. Or Romneycare as it is now called. Remember that these are reasons I found to vote for Romney. As I researched Romney’s healthcare accomplishment, I found that he was able to do what no one had previously: tell people to take responsibility for yourselves and quit mooching off of tax-payer, government money. Massachusetts had a problem: people didn’t want to pay for insurance but needed healthcare; hospitals couldn’t turn these people away even when they knew they wouldn’t be paid for their services; government was spending billions of dollars subsidizing these people to keep hospitals in business and available for those who actually were taking responsibility for their lives.
Now, here’s the deal. I present two articles. The first is about how Romney-care has failed and is a failure. I have read it all. And I have concluded that all the problems listed (some are even admitted to have appeared or been added after Romney left office) are problems with implementation, not with the plan itself. The second article, interestingly enough, addresses ALL the issues brought up in the first but shows the other view. You have to read BOTH. I know it hurts to read the opposition’s view but you have to if you are going to make an educated decision. If you don’t, you are being led along by the whims of society’s authors. This is the point of research. Get several viewpoints and make an informed personal decision.
First article: http://www.cato.org/pubs/policy_report/v30n1/cpr30n1-1.html
Second article: http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=49244
I know some of you will disagree with me on Romney-care. I’m OK with that. I will still believe as I do – that when people begin to believe that healthcare is a government given “right” (which it is not, it is a service provided by businesses just like getting your hair cut or your car washed) and that they should receive it at no cost because it is a “right,” and tax-payers and government have to make up the cost of this “right” for those who refuse to pay into it themselves, then it becomes the government’s “right” to mandate that we all share the burden of the cost of our new “right.” Sad, huh? But true.
And the big difference for me between Romney’s plan and Obama’s plan? Romney’s plan said, “We are no longer going to allow you to force us to take care of you. You are actually able to take care of yourselves. Here are some choices of healthcare plans; you pick the plan you want with the options and price you want by this date. Thanks for taking responsibility for your own healthcare.” Obama’s plan said, “You are no longer able to take responsibility for yourselves so we are now forcing you to choose our healthcare plan. It will cost this much and cover these things. End of discussion.”
I like Romney’s plan.
3. Romney got Massachusetts out of debt. This is HUGE in my book and the number 1 reason I vote for Mitt. When he entered the gubernatorial office, he inherited a $3 billion debt for the state. When he left, he left a $2 billion surplus for a “rainy-day” fund. What state do you know has an excess to put aside for a rainy day?? This is the guy I want to be in charge of our current federal debt of how many TRILLIONS?? How would it be if the federal government had a surplus in the budget for a rainy-day fund? We can’t even fathom that idea anymore.
Now I present 3 articles about the budget issue as I find it most pressing for America at this time.
1. Here’s a great article regarding the debt and the healthcare spending that researched “facts” presented by both McCain and Romney. It’s fairly interesting - especially if you’ve read the two articles presented earlier about Romney-care.
2. Here’s another article about the fact or fiction of the $2 billion rainy day fund. http://www.nbc-2.com/story/16581743/truth-test-did-romney-create-2b-rainy-day-fund
3. And here’s a fantastic article recounting all the fiscal accomplishments Mitt had while in office in Massachusetts. I read it all. http://aboutmittromney.com/economic.htm
Obama has already spent the budgets for 2013 and 2014. If he doesn’t win office again, the Republican winner has a TOUGH job ahead of him. Can Santorum or Gingrich handle having absolutely no budget? Mitt can. I am voting for Mitt.
I realize some people don’t want to vote for Mitt because he’s too good to be true. Or because he seems so not-conservative because look at how he uses government to get things done. Hello? He is amazing for that reason alone! When he was governor of Massachusetts, the majority of the legislature was democrat – 85%. Even with that, he accomplished what he did there. Mitt Romney knows how to use government to help the people – to perform the duty of the government in protection of safety and success independent of government itself – and I vote for Mitt!
Who’s with me?
3 comments:
Great article and great research!! You did a fantastic job!! I'm with you!!
Trish Maes
Heidi. You nailed it!!!
Mitt Romney is a leader. He has been placed in several situations where he has been asked to prove his leadership, the United States needs his leadership.
Mitt Romney is very conservative, particularly fiscally conservative. I don't entirely see where many see him as liberal on social issues even. I really enjoyed his CPAC speech - hit the nail on the head.
I think Mitt is genuinely a good person. Could he be a little less rehearsed sometimes? probably. I wish he could more clearly articulate where he stands on the fly.
What really gets to me is the entirely primary process that leaves some states (like NM and CA) to vote at the very end of the cycle and probably too late for my voice to really be heard. If, as many have projected, that this fight for delegates is going to go all the way to the convention - I will be actively campaigning in NM for Mitt in a few months!
- Paul
Post a Comment