"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Something I Learned Last Night

I have been trying to continue my study of The Book of Mormon even though I am teaching seminary from the Doctrine and Covenants. It's definitely slowed things down, but sometimes that is actually optimal.

In seminary this morning, we talked about prophets and watched the clip of Claudio R. M. Costa in the last General Conference reviewing President Ezra Taft Benson's talk called Fourteen Fundamentals in Following the Prophet. I linked the original by President Benson in case you're interested.

This talk is frankly amazing. Most of the fundamentals seem very obvious but aren't necessarily something you've thought about until it was said so plainly.

There are a few fundamentals that I particularly like and they reminded me of what I read in the scriptures last night...

Last night, I read 2 Nephi chapter 5 - only 2 columns because that is my rule. I figure if I have enough energy to do any pleasure reading (Harry Potter in Spanish currently) before falling asleep, then I can definitely spare enough energy to read 2 columns of scripture. If I'm dead tired and just need to fall asleep when I hit the pillow, then I might only read one verse. That way, I keep my habit of reading scriptures even if I get nothing out of it for a night or two. So far, it's working.

So back to my story. 2 Nephi 5. I was interested in verses 15-17 which say:

15 And I did teach my people to build buildings, and to work in all manner of wood, and of iron, and of copper, and of brass, and of steel, and of gold, and of silver, and of precious ores, which were in great abundance.

16 And I, Nephi, did build a temple; and I did construct it after the manner of the temple of Solomon save it were not built of so many precious things; for they were not to be found upon the land, wherefore, it could not be built like unto Solomon’s temple. But the manner of the construction was like unto the temple of Solomon; and the workmanship thereof was exceedingly fine.

17 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did cause my people to be industrious, and to labor with their hands.


I am amazed that Nephi could teach his people so many trades and do them well I'm sure. It made me wonder what he learned as a youth. I seem to remember that he was definitely trained and educated but did he learn construction, too?

And this morning I got my answer in the fundamentals of prophets:
"5. The prophet is not required to have any particular earthly training or credentials to speak on any subject or act on any matter at any time."

Basically, it does not matter if he was trained in these things. He was a prophet and was therefore entitled to teach his people in an expert way. That's how revelation works.

I remember when I first was assigned to study this talk for a college class at BYU. It was right during the heat of Prop 8 and so far I have kept my opinions of Prop 8 more or less private. But since Prop 8 is not going away and it just keeps getting repealed and argued over... I'll share my opinion.

But first you need to know a few more fundamentals:
"7. The prophet tells us what we need to know, not always what we want to know.

8. The prophet is not limited by men’s reasoning.

9. The prophet can receive revelation on any matter, temporal or spiritual.

10. The prophet may advise on civic matters."

It's vital to know that this talk was first given February 26, 1980 at BYU. So, 30 years ago.

Here's my opinion: assuming that the previous four fundamentals are true, then nothing else matters in the argument for us as Latter-day Saints than that the prophet has spoken and we should support him.

And yet, we do not learn. Thirty years ago, we were warned that the prophet may speak out on civic matters. Then in 1995, the First Presidency and the Twelve Apostles issued The Family: A Proclamation to the World and later in 2008, when the church put so much effort into passing Prop 8 in California, there were Latter-day Saints who refused to support that effort and even worked against it saying that the church cannot have an opinion in political matters. I say, this is not true. The prophet can speak on any topic, at any time, and we should support him.

Prop 8 is still being discussed and debated so this war is not over. If you haven't already, it's time to choose which side you support: the prophet who is the mouthpiece of the Lord or the reasoning of men who are imperfect.

"15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; ... but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15


Thomas S. Monson is the current prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Click here to see his biography.

1 comment:

alyssa said...

Great post! And I agree with it 100%!