"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

It'd Take a Miracle

Last month, I was driving along on my merry way to Alamosa, Colorado to be with my dear Grandmary after her back surgery and to visit my mom who was in town. I was already running late and trying to hurry but also talking on the phone to my sister-in-law having a nice chat.

I noticed that in the bed of a truck ahead of me and in the next lane was a flat piece of card board with all sorts of silver tubes and ventilation looking stuff on it, and that piece of card board caught the wind and blew up and out of the truck throwing all the silver things flying. All of a sudden a giant silver can thing flew over the car in front of me and crashed right on my windshield.

Unfortunate.

This picture does not do it justice because I took it with my phone, but it's the best I've got.



It scared me really good and therefore I have several blessings to count.

One, it came at the car so quickly, there was no time to react; also I was on the phone and had one hand busy. Therefore, I did not swerve either before or after the shattering of my windshield, which is a HUGE blessing considering I was going about 65 miles an hour and was in the left lane next to the median with cars in front, on the side and behind me. Swerving would have been deadly, I think.

Two, the guy who owned the truck actually pulled over to check everything out, gather his stuff, and take responsibility for my windshield. Let me just say that I applaud this man who had the courage and integrity to accept the consequences of this unfortunate accident. How I wish all humans in this world were so honest.

Three, I was close enough to Santa Fe to turn around and find a repair shop that got me all fixed up in just an hour or so. I considered just continuing on to Alamosa and getting it fixed there but there was glass all over the front seat and I didn't want to be in the middle of nowhere when it caved in. It's a good thing I turned around and got it fixed because when I pulled into the glass repair place, I had to go up an incline and the change in slope made the windshield creak and shift. Yikes!

I ended up being two hours delayed to Alamosa but I got there alive and that's what was really important I suppose. And, now we have a nice new windshield!

3 comments:

alyssa said...

Oh my gosh, that would have been so scary! I'm glad that you are ok!

Meagan said...

That is crazy scary Heidi! I'm so glad that you are okay and that everything was taken care of. Perhaps talking on the phone while driving can have benefits!

Sarah said...

Yikes! Glad you are ok!