"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Saturday, February 20, 2016

My Mormon life lately

Our ward (church unit) combines with the Spanish branch (smaller church unit) to have a traditional International Night each year in early October. The Spanish branch basically runs the show with their amazing foods and dance performances but we English folk try to keep up. The gym gets lined with tables where the Hispanic families set up booths of food and artifacts from their counties - I bet almost every country gets represented! There's even a table for El Salvador and that family makes the best papusas!!! I'm so glad my grandparents served their mission there and taught me how amazing that food is! Well, James signed us up to do a table (because we're full of culture...) and one family had already picked New Mexico which is the easiest I think so we last minute decided to do a table from Kansas. Haha! I made Sloppy Joe meat with little buns, 5-bean casserole, and a trail mix with all sorts of things representing Kansas crops - candy corn, corn nuts, soy nuts, sunflower seeds, popcorn. And I printed out all sorts of pictures of things that represent Kansas - the flag, the American bison, sunflowers, a tornado, Wizard of Oz, Brown vs. Board of Education, Amelia Earhart, Carry Nation, etc. It was fun! Not too much work. Not sure anyone cared anymore about Kansas afterwards than they did before, but it was fun to represent and feel like I belonged to my home state. Next time, I'll plan better and make a Kansas Dirt Cake, too!
International Night at church

Between James's and my church assignments, Abi usually ends up spending plenty of time at church. It's a wonder she's not completely bored of that building already. But she manages to find things to do like...
Stealing Daddy's apples

Eating a doorstop

Scaling the fence

Playing with her princesses


My church assignments take me all over our stake (group of church units) visiting lots of wards and branches. One of our branches is a Korean branch. One Sunday when I visited, they had a big potluck after church. It was by far one of the best potlucks I've ever seen in my life! The food was so exotic and fun. They did not hold back on their talents for this. I had to take pictures because I knew James was going to be jealous that he missed going with me for this. Too bad his church assignments keep him at our own ward instead of traveling with me. :) More food for me...

Korean potluck

Korean potluck

My plate at the Korean potluck

No comments: