"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Jake is back!

Jenny and I started making a Welcome Home sign for Jake in early August. We had a blast planning it! It was supposed to be Brazil on one side and America on the other and then a cute little plane would be flying between the two with little stick figure Jake on it. Well, the two sides got done. When we hung it up the day he got home, we realized we totally forgot the plane and stick figure Jake. Oh well! Next time we welcome home a missionary... Haha!
Unfinished Brazil

Unfinished America

We made signs to hold up in the airport when Jake arrived. Abi and her cousin D shared a sign that said, "We've waited our whole lives to meet you!" They loved it - for about 6 seconds.
Jake's niece and nephew he has yet to meet

There's his plane!

Mom was the first to hug him

Dad was bringing us all to tears

Katie and Jake and D

Jake happy to hold his nephew finally

Jake and Jenny

Me, Abi and Jake


Because this is what you do when you're two and don't know why we're hugging a stranger

Happy despite not knowing where the luggage is

Jake was definitely missed

Jake had to wait around in Topeka for his appointment with our Stake President so he could be officially released from his mission. So, while Katie and I took Jenny and the kids home to get the banner ready, Mom and Dad took Jake clothes shopping. His mission clothes were beyond worn out and even a bit filthy and gross. Haha! He definitely worked hard and gave his mission his all because his clothes got no attention, I'm pretty sure. :)
Our tape helpers

If only they stayed on the blanket

Homecoming wouldn't be complete without a fresh batch of kittens

Finished America

Finished Brazil

Once we got the banner hung, we sat on the porch for a while and noticed his cool guy. I've seen cicada shells but never grasshopper shells. I didn't even know that they shed their exoskeleton until I saw this and remembered how the one grasshopper (what's his name?) jumped right out of his shell on A Bug's Life. (Lots of what I know is because of Disney.)
Cool grasshopper and his shell we found

Cruising along - not walking yet!

Happy, happy uncle!

Jake loved his banner. We had him go through and name everything to make sure he really knew the cultures of both his worlds. We even had him do it in Portuguese and English which was actually just us being merciful to him because he could hardly speak English. I should say we LET him do it in Portuguese because otherwise, he couldn't talk. We couldn't be happier to have him home though! Well done, Elder Jake Crowther!
Finished banner

No comments: