"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Smoky Summer

This was an interesting summer for fires. The Arizona fire that burned LOTS of acres (I don't know the number but it was something like 4 gazillion acres) blew all of its smoke over Albuquerque for about 10 days. Every morning would be clear and beautiful and then the evenings were smoky, gray, stinky, and some nights there was even ash falling like snow. One night, the full moon was a brilliant red.


Then, shortly after that stopped, the fire up by Los Alamos burned another gazillion acres - or so. This is a picture of that fire. This was a rough fire for our area. It got super close to the Los Alamos Laboratories and shut down Bandelier for a while which was a monument we visited earlier this year.

One night, James and I thought a part of Rio Rancho was on fire so we drove out to see and kept driving and driving - for about 20 minutes - until it was finally clear that it was the other side of the mountains that the flames were coming from. We weren't the only onlookers either. There were a dozen or so cars pulled over with binoculars watching the flames burning

This fire forced lots of evacuations which affected several families in our greater church boundaries. One family had their cabin burnt to a crisp. Their plan was to go salvage the metal they could find. What craziness!

Because it was so bad for so long and was affecting so many homes and families, the members of our church decided to have a joint fast and we prayed for rain. This was a special experience knowing that while I was fasting and praying for rain, so were probably several thousand other people. And God heard our prayers and sent a miracle to help. That night of the fast, a press conference was held to discuss the progress of the fire versus the firefighters and they had to move it indoors due to rain. We had not had any moisture since January and this was the beginning of July. This was a divine miracle.

I am so grateful that God hears our prayers and answers them. Even if I have to be patient sometimes, I know He answers my prayers.

No comments: