"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Pirates, Chipmunks, and Nail Polish

If you have seen Pirates of the Carribean II without falling asleep in it, then apparently you will see the pirates playing a dice game. Some friends taught James and me how to play a few years ago and so I brought lots of dice and cups so we could play at Cousins Camp. The game isn't too hard to learn and revolves around ratios and probability. It's actually a great game for a math class, I think.

Mark's eye looks better! ...sort of...

Here is Jenny sitting so super still while a chipmunk eats the seeds outside her chips bag trap. She puts seeds outside and deep inside the bag and she waits. The chipmunk tries some seeds outside - they're good. Then he tries some just barely in the bag and runs away to eat them since he's not sure the bag is safe. But since nothing happened to him before when he was only halfway in the bag, the second time he runs right in to the back to get more seeds and stays for just a minute too long. Because that is when Jenny jumps up and grabs the bag shut and captures the chipmunk. We put him in a big plastic jar for a few minutes so that everyone could see him up close and then we had a big release. Jenny is a master chipmunk catcher.

Here is probably one of my favorite parts of the whole week. Remember that color changing fingernail polish I told you about in the San Francisco #1 post? Well, here it is! Grandpa fell asleep right next to me while I was painting my nails and so I painted his fingernails with a clear-to-hotpink color all while Mom and Dad and Grandmary cheered me on. Then Dad decided to take a nap and told me to stay away from him. So I did, until Mom told me to do his, too. And when you have Mom's permission to do something so deliciously fun and only slightly cruel, you have to do it. So I did a double coat of silver-to-red sparkly color on Dad's toenails - only on one foot though.

I could only do about 7 of Grandpa's fingers too because the rest weren't exposed. He was so hilarious because he knew when he woke up that they were clear-coated and he was only slightly irritated (as in not-really-irritated) and smiled about it. Then I took him outside with me to show him how they turn hot pink and poor Grandpa was mortified I think. I offered to remove them with my polish remover but he wouldn't come close to the table at all. I guess he had no trust in me left - I can't imagine why not?

Instead he used his pocket knife to scrape the polish off. Haha! Poor Grandpa.

A few days after this, I got a text from Dad saying that he and Mom were at the ER and Mom was going to have emergency gall bladder removal that day. (She's fine now, by the way.) He then sent a text to say that his toes looked very pretty there in the ER. Hehe... I love you, Dad and Grandpa!

No comments: