July 2018
After we spent the first week of July in Kansas, we had a brief week back in San Antonio to do laundry, reorganize and repack before our EPIC road trip which, as you will see in later posts took us to Colorado (by way of NM) for a week, then New Mexico for a week, then Utah for a week, and finally Yellowstone for a week. A whole month in the car with three kids ages 5 and under. It was a total blast! I would do it again every summer! But first, the brief intermission before the EPIC trip.
Our kids are at this stage...
 |
| Never any privacy |
 |
| Rain doesn't stop these two |
I am really excited for Abi to be able to ride her own bike so we can go on bike adventures! Texas has so many great trails and parks to explore but clearly, we need another solution because this won't last long. Haha!
 |
| We need a bigger bike trailer |
In order to prepare for our epic road trip, we had to bring a meal to share with 25 people and we chose to do BBQ pork sandwiches. We made the meat in San Antonio, froze it, then packed it along with us on our trip. This is the amazing process in pictures.
 |
| How to brine 20 pounds of meat |
 |
| It fills the whole fridge drawer |
 |
| Worth the work |
So in the previous post, I showed a picture of our super packed van and this is why! I finally have my desk in my possession again! I forgot how much I love this desk! My amazing daddy built it for me about 20 years ago and it still looks brand new and perfect. What a treasure!
 |
| Finally have my desk with me |
My kids are growing up and finding ways to provide for themselves. Haha!
 |
| Sneak thief |
Our EPIC road trip started with a 13-hour drive without James for the first leg and I didn't think I could manage that on my own in the hot Texas summer when I can't leave my kids in the car while I pit stop, and I can't take three kids into the public restroom who will roll all over the floor or spy on other occupants from under the stall walls while I'm busy - because you know that's how it would go - so I invited my niece from NM to fly out here and drive back to NM with me. She was phenomenal help and I will take her everywhere with me in future! She even helped bake snacks and treats for our trip. I asked her to make some rice krispie treats thinking plain old rice krispie treats, but, no, she went through my cupboard and found Reese's Pieces to add to one batch and chocolate and mint chips to add to another. How cool is she?? She also made banana bread and some hearty breakfast muffins. She helped me make sandwiches and most especially, entertained my children so I could clean and pack. Best travel buddy ever!
 |
| My niece arrived |
I tried to show my niece a great time by taking her tourist-ing to the biggest gas station in the world... Haha! I'm that cool!
 |
| The biggest gas station in the world |
Abi opened her birthday card from Grandmary a few days early and was super excited about getting money. Can you believe this girl turned five in July!?!?!?!
 |
| Birthday card |
These goggles are so Abigail! Haha! The night before we began our EPIC road trip, we went swimming because why pack? Haha! Yeah, I'm nuts. It worked out though.
 |
| Swimming in style |
Our EPIC trip started with a big long day of driving. It was made longer by a few pit stops but I wanted to have fun and not just hurry through the trip. We found a super cool park in a small town in Texas to pit stop at for a while. The park equipment was super amazing and fun and my kids would have played here for hours. There was just one problem... the ambient temperature was 101 degrees and the playground equipment was all so hot that it burned my kids' hands when they touched it. So, fail on that one especially since two of my kids can't do stairs without putting knees and hands on the ground, but the swings were in the shade so that worked for a while.
 |
| Isn't this swing great?! |
We went through Roswell, NM on our way so naturally we stopped to take a photo with this local resident.
 |
| Enjoying Roswell, NM |
No comments:
Post a Comment