July 2018
The San Luis Valley in Colorado puts on the best Pioneer Day celebration I've ever seen. I've been at least two-dozen times and it just doesn't get old. It was a little more exhausting this year with three kids but without a doubt, always worth the effort.
We spent Thursday in Sanford enjoying their parade and games with cousins. I got to teach my kids good parade etiquette which I realized may not be taught to everyone even though I feel it's a standard skill that everyone needs to possess. Haha! I told her stand up front, wave and smile and say thank you! I explained about not running out in the road for candy that falls short until it's safe and about not going into the neighbor's territory to collect candy. We may have even taught her how to yell for candy if need be. Haha! She can follow instructions like these when there is the promise of candy falling from the sky. Who knew there were so many rules to picking free candy up from off the ground?
 |
| Watching the parade |
My uncle's kids have a bunch of cats and those cats all have kittens. Haha! So Abi spent much of the day chasing and catching them. I tried not to think about how many creepy crawly things were under this porch so that I could let Abi be a kid but honestly. Yuck! Haha!
 |
| Catching kittens |
Part of growing up here is learning to catch and handle a crawdad so that you are ready to enter the crawdad races. Haha! I know. Small town. Redneck even. But we love it! My sister Jenny caught a crawdad to show Abi which was a huge delight for her!
 |
| Learning to hold crawdads |
My cousins had a bunch of kid toys for my twins to enjoy which was a blessing as I had almost nothing to entertain them with all day. I love how accepting and loving my family is! They really live with an attitude of always room for more!
 |
| Riding a bike |
 |
| Learning to climb |
Jenny took Abi floating down the canal. Abi got pretty much the full experience of my many summers of childhood all in one day! I'm super happy to share these memories with her!
 |
| Floating the canal |
 |
| Gi-gi is the best! |
While we were there, Abigail turned five years old! I'm sort of lame in that I didn't plan much for her birthday, only because I was limited by not being fully in control of the schedule or having a kitchen, but we did manage to have some of my cousins pick up some Hostess cupcakes that we could put candles in and my sweet cousin even picked Abi up a gift. It sure made Abi's day special and she spent hours playing with her new doctor kit toy. Thanks, Wendy!!! You're the best!
 |
| Happy Birthday to Abigail |
 |
| Lighting the candles |
No comments:
Post a Comment