"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Saturday, July 11, 2009

A little family history...

If any of you have seen my dad's blog, then this won't be very impressive, but it's my first garden, and so I'm impressed. :)

I was just thinking, though, how my garden represents my family better than a family tree does in some ways. At least, it represents my personally experienced family history.

The first picture is just of the front of our apartment. The planters aren't ours, but the plants in the garden are.

The next two pictures are the first family connection. The first is our peas and their nice fence that they have to grow on, and the next is our radishes. They both remind me of my Crowther grandparents. When I'm a grandma, I want to have peas that my grandkids can sneak out of the garden.



This is a picture of our one surviving watermelon (out of four) on the top and our spaghetti squash on the bottom. The two middle plants are our neighbors' melons.

Just another picture of the radishes, peas, and green onions (and the weeds in the background).

Here's another family connection. This is a picture of our cucumbers, lettuce, bell peppers, and beans, and the picture after is of our tomatoes. I wouldn't be my mother's daughter if I didn't grow salsa ingredients in my garden. :D

Ok, now I have to mention my last family connections. One is something you can't really take a picture of, but I planted my seeds just like Grandmary taught me years ago while I helped her plant flowers. I pretty much heard her telling me what to do the whole time I was doing it. The other thing may not be true, but I remember there being rubber snakes in Grandmary and Grandpa's vegetable and flower gardens because I was always scared of them. I seem to remember that were there to scare rodents and deer away. Well, we've been having deer and quail problems so I bought this snake. He's not rubber so he doesn't do as good of a job but he was the best applicant.

So, these are the last pictures. The garden has gotten so big and hungry that we had to abandon the five gallon bucket idea. It was taking three buckets each time we watered. So, while I was away... James went to Home Depot and bought a hose and rigged our sink so we just hook the hose up and go downstairs to water. It's pretty ridiculous, but we're having a ton of fun.


3 comments:

Meagan said...

Hooray! The ugly bush is gone! Your garden looks awesome. We thought about that when we lived there, but obviously did nothing about it. Congrats!

Adam said...

James! Heidi! Oh My Gosh! That Is So Cool! Man, Those Crazy Plants Just Keep Growing! I wish I was up there with you! You two call me sometime!
-Adam
PS: Heidi, I learned the rest of the Left Hand on the song!

Tom Crowther said...

Wow! I am so proud of you guys. That looks so nice. Your lettuce looks great! Everything does. That is NOT enough peas. Sometimes I wish my garden was that size. I inventoried the pantry today and found that I have no room to store any more food and the season is just beginning. YIKES Somebody eat some of this. Our neighbors are locking the door when they see us coming up their drive with more zucchini. Happy eating!!