"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Fu Zi Miao


Here we are at the Fu Zi Miao, in Nanjing, China. This area was once a great Confucius school and test taking area. People would come from all over the region to study and take a government test. Those who were successful would be permitted to go on and work with the government in very high and important positions. This test was so important that people would come to this area anywhere between a few months to over a year before the test just to study and prepare for the test. Merchants began to realize that these students would need food, clothing, and other things while they were away from home, and decided to set up camp in the area and market to the students. The neat thing is these merchants never really left, and the Fu Zi Miao is to this day, a very popular place to shop. You can probably see the Burger King, KFC, and Haagen Dazs in the background.

1 comment:

Meagan said...

Yay James. You are alive. It is cool to see pictures of all that neat stuff that you are seeing. It makes me wish I could go to China sometime.