"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Twins go to cardiologist and Mother's Day

May 2018

May was a month of Doctor's appointments. (Later you'll see my eye surgery!!) We took the babies for what was supposed to be their 12-month check-up on their hearts, but due to job loss and insurance needs, we put it off until they were 19 months. Oops. You do what you can, right?

When the babies were still in utero, the doctor discovered a tiny hole in Hyrum's heart and we had a pediatric cardiologist do a prenatal echo cardiogram to make sure everything was good. He did an echo on not just Hyrum but Audrianne as well, because twins - #twinmomlife - and he found that they both actually had small holes in their hearts. Now, to be fair, apparently like 50% of us have holes in our hearts when we're born but they are too small to be noticed and close up on their own during childhood. But since Hyrum's was big enough to notice, and because he's a thorough doctor, we found that both kids did indeed have holes. This dictated a post birth echo on them at 8 weeks old to make sure all was as expected. And it was. The doctor diagnosed Hyrum with a small VSD and Audrianne with a tiny VSD - very medical. Hehe. Ok, so then this echo was to just make sure they were closing up or staying stable and not doing anything funny without our knowledge. End of story is that their hearts looked great! Nothing more to worry about! But the experience was difficult for the kiddos. They were so brave but wow, twins are so hard sometimes!

Audrianne was visibly scared but it seemed she was too scared to move, or just brave. We'll say she was brave! Haha! She just whimpered with this sad look on her face and wouldn't move a muscle.
Audrianne is so brave

Hyrum on the other hand kept trying to pull all the monitors off and wiggled and made it much more challenging for the nurses. It took them so many tries to get his heart rate! Haha! He just wouldn't quit moving!
Hyrum is just annoyed

We had to wait for a while in little room but the kids entertained themselves well. Look how Audrianne set her owl up!
These kids crack me up!

Then they made up a game where they set their owls on the other's head and watched it fall off, then they giggled and giggled. So funny to watch!
It must be nice to always have a friend

Audrianne again held so still for the actual echo. It was a bit heart-breaking and satisfying at the same time to see her be so uncomfortable but brave. To be clear, these kids were not in pain for a single moment - just very uncomfortable in this new environment with strangers prodding them all over. Hyrum wouldn't even lay on the bed for a second so I ended up having to hold him while they did the echo on him, so no picture of his echo, unfortunately. He was not happy about the echo!
Laying so still

James and I really love salad group, clearly!
Salads!

This girl loves Piggie and Gerald stories

I love that our kids love water!

Daddy will learn to swim one way or another

I don't Abi think quite understands Mother's Day but she enjoyed it this year all the same. Our Young Women program at our church sold breakfast boxes which James bought for me so he and Abi delivered breakfast in bed to me. She was so excited for me to open it and to tell me "Happy Muver's Day!" I love this girl! And I love being her mother!
"Happy Muver's Day!

Helping me open my present

In our house, we celebrate all mothers, because we really believe all women are mothers in one way or another. Women have a natural yearning to nurture others and we want to cultivate and encourage that so James gets us all a little present. I got a yoga mat and Abi and Audrianne got towels so we can workout together! :) So fun!
All our cute mothers

Working out together

I like Audri's pose

No comments: