James and I have a dream to one day speak each other's languages - every husband and wife wish for this, right? Seriously though, James speaks Mandarin, I speak Spanish and we'd like to be able to speak them both so that we can practice with each other. So, tonight for some reason I was trying to tell him everything I can say in Chinese. (You know you don't speak much Chinese when you can say it all in about ten minutes.)
Here's the important part of the conversation:
Heidi: "How about... bu zhi dao (不知到)... Did I say that right?
James: "Yeah, you said it right."
Heidi: "What's that mean?" (Keep in mind, I'm listing everything I can say, not define.)
James: "I don't know."
Heidi: "I learned it from you."
James: "Probably, I say that a lot."
Heidi: "Well, then what's it mean?"
James: "I don't know."
Heidi: Blank stare... ... ... Light bulb!... "Oh, it means 'I don't know'?" OH!!!
And then we both laughed really hard as we realized where the miscommunication came in. Maybe we should just stick to English...
By the way, James made me put the characters in that conversation. That's the first he's contributed to a blog post since he was in China. I keep telling him 'the fans' want to hear from him but he doesn't believe it...
1 comment:
Lol i love the language mis communications. I think James should keep teaching and have the lessons here then i can keep practicing mandrin as well!
Post a Comment