I have recently learned about an upcoming event experts are calling the Demographic Winter. What's that? Well, it's a term that goes along with terms like Falling Fertility Rates, Human Capital, Population Aging, and Economic Reality.
Totally confused but intrigued?
Check out this article: Demographic Winter More Certain Than Global Warming
Key Quotes I liked:
"“Adam Smith, probably the greatest of all economists,” says Becker, “once wrote that prosperity is associated with growing populations and depression,… is associated with declining populations.” So there are two ways to increase your human capital: by advancing the education and skill level of the working age population and by increasing the population."
"The engines of commerce will be strained as the workers of today fail to replace themselves, the consumer base shrivels, and you have fewer innovators."
I am intrigued by the ideas in this article and wonder what your thoughts may be?
Conclusion I draw... Don't be afraid of children and have kids! I like this plan!
Amazing how this plan is so consistent with Gospel teachings! It's also amazing that prophets knew this years ago (see The Family: A Proclamation to the World) and plead with us to make family a priority, have Family Home Evening weekly, bring children into your home, avoid debt, have mothers present in the home where possible, plant a garden, have wholesome family recreation, work together to build a well-educated, capable family.
I love that there is a prophet on Earth who speaks for God and can help us avoid such amazing pitfalls if we will only follow his counsel.
P.S. I know to some this may sound hypocritical if you see us with no kids yet and haven't heard that we're approved for adoption. Check out our adoption blog and spread the word! We would love to have some kids! www.jamesandheidiareadopting.blopspot.com
3 comments:
I fear that a Demographic Winter may just be an enevitability. I don't think it would help the economy for couples who are not prepared for children, or families who cannot support extra children to forge ahead merely to balance the population. The fact that the baby boomers exist and the fact that the baby boomers had less children in general than their parents did created a situation that will take 20-30 years to rectify.
That having been said, I do agree that if you're on the fence in the having children area, go for the plunge!!
It's so true! I thought about saying something similar but for some reason everything I type about responsible parenting and family planning isn't sounding right today. I guess today is a "Have Children" day and maybe tomorrow will be the "Now what to do with them" day. Like George Washington Carver with peanuts! :D Haha!
How timely! I just read this article yesterday, it goes along with what you wrote: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303714704576383764019676614.html
Post a Comment