"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Our first visit to NJ from family

James's brother, B, came to visit us for the month of June and so James's dad flew him out. It was so fun to have family visit us and especially fun because James's dad served his two-year church mission here in NYC.

Naturally, our first stop after we left the airport was to Carlo's Bakery in Hoboken, New Jersey for some Cake Boss baked goods. They were very delicious but also my first Italian desserts, so I can't really compare them to anything else. We got lucky when we went because there was no line, which apparently is unheard of.



After we found a New York style pizza place and ate a late dinner, we walked along the Hudson River and checked out the city scape. So fun!



The next day, we drove into NYC and saw the temple...


...Columbus Circle...


...Central Park...





These kids photobombed our picture, not to be rude or funny, but just because there's always a line to take pictures everywhere here. It's funny to me that we didn't notice the kid's shirt until just last week. We must have been really focused on ourselves to miss such a giant clue pointing us to potential friends.



Here is James's dad in front of his old mission office. It's no longer the mission office or even a church owned/rented property. But it's beautiful and it was obvious how many fond memories James's dad had of this building.


And a nice pic of us!



Then we went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art...


...and walked through the Egyptian section...


to get to this painting which is so huge! It gets its own room. This picture doesn't even do it justice.


This last picture is of our rigged up room for B while he stayed with us. We strung a rope across the room, hung sheets up and butterfly clipped them to keep them stable. It actually worked really well I think. Maybe B has a different opinion. :)


And this was the beginning of our crazy, traveling summer. More adventures to come...

No comments: