"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Getting to bed early

We try.

I try.

He tries.

We try SO hard to get to bed early. And yet, in the last year his early bird has been assimilated by my night owl. (If you've never watched Star Trek, you probably won't appreciate the word "assimilated" as much as you should. James will be proud of that reference.)

Last night, we were really proud of ourselves because we got in bed by 10:30. That's literally 1.5 hours earlier than usual. Can we say ecstatic?!

There are two things you should know about us before I continue:

1. I am extremely sensitive to the blanket positioning. We have four blankets on our bed because I get so cold and if they get skewed so that one is hanging too far one way and another is hanging too far the other way, I can't sleep. I try but I just lay there and get increasingly uncomfortable and angry at inanimate objects which never gets you anywhere.

2. James has to take a daily pill to make his thyroid happy. It has stupid requirements that are something like "Do not eat anything containing DNA 12 hours before or after this pill." It's not quite that bad. But basically he wakes up every day at 4AM to take a pill so that he can eat breakfast at 6AM. Each night, he fills a 16oz water bottle and leaves it on his night stand, ready for his 4AM pill routine. 

Ok, on with last night.

It was about 11. Poor James was almost asleep, but I couldn't sleep because the blankets were all skewampus, and I'd had it. So, I gingerly asked him if he'd wake up and help me fix them. He opened one eye at me and hesitated before agreeing.

Because he was trying to muster energy to practically rearrange furniture, he exaggerated the effort required by pulling the blanket way over and up. Faintly, I heard a knocking/falling sound and then James jumped out of the bed quicker than he ever has. He dropped to his knees to look under the bed and I listened to see what he was doing.

All I heard was a waterfall... under the bed...

That's when I realized his water bottle - filled to the brim with no cap - had fallen behind the bed and was quickly emptying out. He tried but couldn't reach far enough between the side table and the bed to get it.

Then he said, "Too late."

I imagined that the water had fallen below the spout line and could no longer escape, so only about half the water was all over the floor... it could be worse. Right?

Nope. Turns out it had fallen upside down and ALL the water had escaped.

So, at 11PM we were literally rearranging furniture, pulling side tables away from the wall, pulling objects out from under the bed, soaking up water with towels, wiping side boards and bed frames.

When I asked him why he didn't have a lid on the bottle, he responded, "Because I can't find one!"

Someday, we will be unpacked and have order again.

Until then, we just laugh and go to bed late.

1 comment:

alyssa said...

Oh my goodness, that is crazy! I appreciate the word "assimilate" and I'm sure Jordan would too. We watched a TON of Star Trek for the first time last year and it totally made me think of you guys. We miss you and hope we can meet up with you soon!