"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Infertility is a Disease?

I read this article today. It's interesting. I'm not sure yet whether I agree with all the conclusions and hypotheses, but it is worth a minute to scan. It argues that many psychiatric issues appear more often in women who experienced infertility. I really don't know if infertility is the cause of mental disorders or if mental disorders are the cause of infertility or if they are both side effects of a completely other cause - i.e. hormone imbalances. I will say that I have a new respect for hormones and the will power it takes to control my emotions and actions when hormones are being tampered with. I also know that sometimes I feel a bit off my rocker on days when this trial feels bigger than I can currently handle. So, who knows? Maybe they're onto something here...

However, whether they are right or not, my greatest support in this infertility journey has been my husband. He has been one step ahead of my emotional breakdowns which don't happen too often but when they do, they're terrible. :D And you know how we are taught in church that service is good for us as well as the people we serve? It really is. James has been so good to suggest some form of service almost as soon as I start to fall to the emotional pressure and that little trick has worked every time to bring me back to the reality of our good, BLESSED lives.

If you ever feel self pity, depression, sadness, emptiness, loneliness, or just plain boredom for whatever reason big or small, SERVICE and PRAYER are the best home solution. I am now 100% convinced of this.

Too bad THAT conclusion didn't come up in their study...

2 comments:

Adam said...

You are awesome Heidi! We love you so much!

Meagan said...

I love this post Heidi. You guys are amazing!