My Girls Camp History:
7 years as a young woman
2 years as a ward assistant leader
1 year as a stake cook
And now...
1 year as a Level 2 Certification leader
What a blast! Level 2 gets to learn cool things like sharpening knives, cloud recognition, CPR, building fires, purifying water, and STAR gazing!
I LOVE star gazing and therefore took it upon myself (with stake's permission of course) to do a star gazing show one evening. It was so fun and nice. I felt like the girls caught the spirit of our Divine existence. I tried to show how all things are a witness of our Heavenly Father like it says in Alma 30:44,
44 But Alma said unto him: Thou hast had signs enough; will ye tempt your God? Will ye say, Show unto me a sign, when ye have the testimony of all these thy brethren, and also all the holy prophets? The scriptures are laid before thee, yea, and all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator.
I love that scripture!
Level 2 girls also have the longest hike - 5 miles - which truly is not bad. I thought so when I was a young girl and it is definitely hard hiking over mountains having to carry water and food with bugs and heat. But, as I have visited various places like Mexico, Spain, China, even San Francisco, CA, I am realizing that many people walk way more than 5 miles every day just to go about their daily business and chores. It's a good thing to have hiked 5 strenuous miles at least once in your life.
So this is me talking to another leader on our hike. I believe this must have been crazy hair day although I didn't participate. I figured I was lucky to get up in the morning and brush teeth and apply deodorant. I don't know how people found time and energy to do crazy hair things...
The girl on the left here is my wonderful friend and temporary daughter, Marie. She stayed with us for 3 weeks in June while her parents were in mid move. She wanted to stay for girls camp and to finish her job while they were traveling/working. We loved having her with us!! It's amazing how many more board games 3 can play than 2.
This is our ward of girls and leaders. We were very top heavy. In this picture are 5 leaders, 10 YCL's, and 4 younger young women. Crazy, eh?
This was a really neat idea that I had never seen. Our ward leader brought a plastic white table cloth and set it out on the main table in our campsite the first day with lots of sharpie markers. Then throughout the week, the girls filled it with love notes, scriptures, shout-outs, quotes, and other silly things. It was really fun to check each day.
Here's another hike picture to show the amazing terrain we hiked through. Wouldn't have guessed this was NM.
Nor this.
Here is our Level 2 girls with me and another leader, 6 YCL's and the rest 2nd year girls.
This is a shot of our campsite and the girls making 8-string braids on their bookmarks after a great spiritual thought on rope needed for sailing ships.
Overall, this was yet another great year at Girls Camp! It never fails.
No comments:
Post a Comment