"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Beginning the Christmas Festivities

December 2017

Ward Party:
Our church had a Christmas party with a great program about the birth of Jesus, as well as a Santa and the most unique part, a Texas Snowball Fight which is basically when people buy thousands of marshmallows and launch them at each other. Oh, it was a huge mess! But I loved it! The best part was that the gym floor was so sticky on the following Tuesday night for our volleyball night and I could actually move quickly to get the ball because I had traction (normally it's so dusty and slick, it's useless).
Texas-sized snowball fight

Meeting Santa

Family with Santa Claus

Christmas Light Hunting:
A neighborhood near us has a Christmas light contest with several categories and the firemen hand out maps of the contestants' homes and it was so fun! Abi loved it! And yes, we did get out and take a selfie underneath this mistletoe. :)
Biggest ball of live mistletoe in Texas

Abi insisted that her Smurf needed to taste the cookies.
Biggest plate of cookies in Texas

Christmas lights

Christmas Lights

Christmas Lights

Welcome Home, Jenny!
My sister, Jenny, had been serving her church mission in California for the last 18 months and was finally getting home. We weren't able to be at the airport to welcome her home so we made a sign and sent a picture to her new phone so she'd have a great picture text waiting for her. We were so excited to see her!
We are ready to welcome Jenny home!

Our welcome home sign!

Hyrum's first haircut:
Ok, This is somewhat of a sad tale but here it goes. I had been asking and asking James to help me cut Hyrum's hair for a while because clearly it had gotten way out of control. Haha! Well, James thought he'd help me out one night and cut it without telling me to surprise me. I walked into the bathroom just as he was almost finished. That was not what I had in mind. I imagined the big moment of the "First Haircut" and pictures and baby books and cutting a lock for memory sake and ugh... I cried. And James felt bad. Because he's a man and he thought he was doing the right thing. Haha! Well, I knew that I could sulk and be mad and sad and miss the whole first haircut or I could get my camera and watch the end of it and enjoy what I could. So that's what I did. Poor James. He tries so hard and I love him for it! And Hyrum did look much better, though maybe a little bald. And we laugh about it now, in June 2018. Hehe
Before his much-needed haircut

After his haircut

Christmas Cookies:
We again made a few batches of cookies with every intent to deliver to neighbors. That didn't happen. Too much going on in life. We froze the dough and took them all to Kansas with us and made a batch or two every day. That was equally as fun and delicious though more fattening, I'm sure.
Christmas cookies

Patiently waiting to visit family:
I feel bad even posting these because I know some of my New Jersey friends will see them and there is no comparison here from the 3 feet of snow and toe warmers to green grass and no coats. But I have to say, we really enjoy getting out every day!
Why we love December in Texas

Can't beat this winter!

Our house is becoming a home:
We have a mantel and five nails - for five stockings! I could not be more happy or giddy about how much I love my house!
We have a fireplace!

Opening some presents:
We decided to open presents from James's family before we went to Kansas. We just didn't want to haul them all there and back again. :) We needed that room for our ginormous bin of board games! Haha! The babies enjoyed ripping the paper to find presents inside. That was fun!
Opening Christmas presents

Audrianne and Abigail

Thank you to our Harper family for all their sweet presents and for thinking of our kids and us this Christmas season! Our kids loved everything immensely!

No comments: