"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Remembering my grandma and loving on sick kids

October 2017

Shortly after our company left, our kids got sick and thus started our winter of being sick EVERY THIRD WEEK, NO JOKE! I joked about it for a while, but no, we were seriously sick eight times by the end of January which is getting ahead of my blogging but I feel this is important to note. Haha!

You know the kids don't feel well when they just lay there in the middle of the floor on their tummies, surrounded by toys and stare blankly.
Can you find the sick little girl?

I think this is a fantastic picture but I can hardly stand it at the same time! This girl has NO fear of bugs! I'm trying not to destroy that but it is so hard when she keeps surprising me with bugs in my face - especially when they are cock roaches!! UGH! Parenting is hard... Haha!
"Look, Mom!"

This picture is for my mom. :) Our house is almost always covered in a carpet of toys and books and our furniture is generally full of clothes waiting to be folded. But sometimes, we get that refreshing look that brings peace to the world all over again.
It does get cleaned up occasionally

Hilarious faces

They're learning to really play together

This picture series is of a moment that I dearly enjoyed! My paternal grandmother's birthday is in October but she died the year Abi was born. I love her and miss her and want my kids to know her in some way so I started a new tradition of doing things that remind me of her on her birthday. So I baked bread for the first time in my life without the help of a bread machine. AND I hand kneaded it! What a great experience! My dad has told us that he loved coming home from school to the smell of home-baked bread so this was my way of connecting to my grandma. Someday, I'll get my kids to help and we can all be great bread bakers in honor of her.
Watching it rise

The best part of going to Grandma's house was raiding her yummy bread box, spreading butter all over it, and then dropping it butter side down into her sugar drawer! Oh man! Heaven! We called it sugar-butter-bread and begged for it every visit! So, naturally, that is how we ate this home-baked bread. :) Happy Birthday, Grandma!
Trying our homemade bread

So Audrianne was the first one sick; Hyrum and Abi soon followed. I do like that when they are sick, they snuggle so well!
Sick little boy

Poor sick kids - at least they hold still

I pushed Abi on the swing one afternoon and she totally fell asleep! I couldn't believe it! I didn't know what to do so I left her there and she took a nice long nap swinging from the tree. What paradise, right?!
She actually fell asleep!

I love how much they love each other

Reading with Daddy

Our whole marriage, James has told me of his amazing hammock that he loved as a kid and how he couldn't wait to have a home where he could set it up and use it again. Well, we finally have a home and a perfect tree branch! So glad for him!
James finally can use his hammock

She's getting to be a pro at puzzles

Hyrum can spend 20 to 30 minutes looking at books which is so amazing for this age! I love that our kids love books! Major win!
His favorite activity

Swinging is so fun

This picture is one that Abi's preschool teacher took of her. She said Abi comes into the classroom every morning and loudly pronounces, "I'M HEEEEERRRREEEE!" Haha! What a turkey! Abi loved going to preschool here and loved her teacher. She was allowed to attend the public preschool based on her NJ qualifications and testing. Unfortunately, when the TX school did their own testing, she no longer qualified. They found that she was delayed, but not significantly enough to qualify for preschool. UGH! I cried. I cried that afternoon. I cried in the school office when we met with all the experts. I cried for days. Not because I wanted Abi to be in preschool, but because that is the only way she gets her therapies that she's had since she was 18 months old and I just didn't feel she was ready to quit them all cold turkey like that. But, in the end, (this is April now as I write this) things have worked out quite well. I resolved to continue doing preschool activities at home and we found her a private Occupational therapist to continue a little therapy with her and she has done really well! I am just amazed at how well she is doing and so proud of the steps she has made! She misses school and being with friends but she and I are closer together now so that's a win! And we've had so many fun adventures that will eventually show up on the blog! Bet you can't wait to read all about them! :)
"I'm here!"



No comments: