"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Case of the missing scissors

When I was about 10 or 11, Mom couldn't ever find her scissors. Whenever we needed them, they were gone. Who knows where? Nobody ever understood how they so frequently disappeared.

So, eventually Mom had a brilliant idea! She tied the scissors to the kitchen drawer handle. When they weren't in use, they sat just inside the drawer with the string dangling out. When we used them, we had to be real close to the drawer because the string wasn't very long. She had purposely made it short enough so that it couldn't be cut by those same scissors.

This worked. Until... one day she came into the kitchen and the whole drawer was missing! Just an empty hole in the cupboards. Ha! I had taken the drawer to the kitchen table because I had to use the scissors for a while and I couldn't stand there the whole time. I did put the drawer back but she decided to cut the scissors off of the drawer handle.

I always swore it wasn't me that was losing the scissors. I truly believe that, too! But I'm beginning to have a tough time denying it. Why is this suddenly an issue again in my adult life?

Because I know for a fact that we own four adult-sized scissors and one child-sized scissors, and do you think I can find ANY of them? No! I can't find a single pair. And I'm beginning to become frustrated after three weeks of this fruitless searching.

Here's to you, Mom. I'm considering tying my own scissors in place... next time I find them.

No comments: