"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6
Wednesday, September 26, 2012
More D.C.
Here is a sampling of the other things we saw in D.C.
The Air and Space Museum: the best part of this museum was probably that James was finally able to join us and he and Jake both went on a 3D simulator-type ride where one of them flew, the other shot the weapon. I think they died. Pretty quickly actually...
We also went to Arlington Cemetery which was quite sobering and beautiful! I think I could spend many contemplative afternoons in that cemetery if I lived close by. This was a quilt somebody made using childhood photos of actual military personnel who have recently died in action. It was very well done and a nice tribute to them.
I've always seen these kinds of photos, but to see it in person is incredible. This exact scene goes on for miles. It's a HUGE cemetery and the bus ride is half an hour long just through about a quarter of the cemetery and this is the constant view. It's amazing how many, many individuals have given their lives in the service of their nation and fellow countrymen.
Just to accent the size of the cemetery, they are all numbered... probably mostly for organization sake. But this just was very eye-opening for me.
The tomb of the unknown soldier: We did get to see the changing of the guard which was very rigid, intimidating, and sacred. One guard came out to holler instructions and commands - not just to the guard soldiers - but to the audience as well. It was a good confirmation to me that I never could have handled the military. Yelling like that is not connected to happy memories. :) It reminded me too much of stressful sports practices in high school.
But, it did increase my love and respect for all military persons. Even though I would be terrible in the military, we need the military, and I appreciate all who are willing to serve on behalf of my freedom and safety.
This was one of my favorite monuments because of the Children of Promise book series by Dean Hughes. Those are some of my very favorite books. Someday, I will own them. I feel like this statue is so iconic of America. I love it!
This was probably the most disappointing stop on our whole tour. We took Jake to Chinatown to find some genuine Chinese markets, food, people, groceries, stores, etc, and there is virtually NOTHING in Washington D.C.'s Chinatown that is genuine. We were so super shocked and disappointed. We found one restaurant that was rated very highly and was run by a native Chinese man. It was great! But the owner of that restaurant explained that many non-Chinese people were buying up the Chinatown property and using it to Chinese-ify American chain stores. For example, there was a Starbucks that was all in Chinese and a Fuddruckers. Those are not Chinese and not at all a Chinese experience even if the name of the store is written in Chinese. This was TOTALLY LAME! Except for the one yummy restaurant, of course.
The Jefferson Memorial: this made me want to cry! The quotes and amazing intellect of this man that were engraved all over the walls are so inspired, and yet so forgotten by the general populace. Or at least it feels that way at times. I can't wait to meet these amazing founders in heaven and thank them for their incredible work in founding this great country!
The Washington Monument from far away and in the dark. Haha, that sounds like a Dr. Suess book. Anyway, we didn't go in that monument. There just wasn't enough time.
The Lincoln Memorial: I loved this too! There were loads of people just hanging out on these stairs and I can understand why. These monuments to many of America's great men all had a great spirit about them. Very similar to how it feels when you step on temple grounds.
Here is the Washington Memorial from the Lincoln Memorial.
This is the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. I had no idea how many people died in this until I walked the length of this wall! WOW!
This is the Korean War Veterans Memorial. Also something I particularly enjoyed thanks to the Dean Hughes second series of books.
And we were able to find time to do some temple work at the D.C. Temple. The cool thing about this was that we ran into three different people that we knew from our past. It was the coolest experience. The church really does make the world SO small!
The last thing we did was go to the U.S. Capitol building which was probably one of my favorite parts. I think I would love to volunteer here as a tour guide or something and get to know this building inside and out. Tourists actually see very little of this building which is sad but it's beautiful and incredibly historic and sentimental for our country.
This is another place I could weeks at: The Library of Congress. Again, tourists are a bit restricted here but I want to study the architecture and art of this building. It is so symbolic and gorgeous and we weren't allowed to photograph the best room for whatever reason so I'd have to just sit and draw or take notes so that I could study it later...
This is I think the only picture of James and I together except at the temple. Haha! The only proof we toured D.C. together. Thanks, Jake, for taking some pictures for us! He's a pretty good photographer - it was fun watching him take our pictures!
Overall, D.C. was an amazing place to visit! I miss the humidity and the greenery very much! One morning, I actually stopped and stared at the mirror because I saw someone I haven't seen in years! It was a more colorful, vibrant me! I didn't even realize how much I missed me... I had an old, familiar glow that I hadn't seen since high school. And it did wonders for my looks! Oh, how humidity is needed! Someday...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment