We went with another couple who we met at BYU - Dale and Alana. They're fantastic! They planned this part of our trip which was great because they pretty much just called us and said, "Hey, we're sharing this hotel on this day. Meet us." Haha! So we had to.
Down in the Cliff Palace...
A great shot of the inside of a Kiva.
Alana and me going up these crazy cool stairs.
The second tour to the Balcony House was a bit more frightening in some respects. It started with more fine print like, "If you have a fear of heights, or a fear of tight spaces, you may not want to go on this tour... Mwah ha ha!" Or something like that. :D So, here's the canyon we're going into.
...and the path you walk along...
...the ladder you climb up...
...the crack in the wall you shimmy through...
...the ladder you climb up through the crack in the wall...
...to get to here...
...continuing through this 'hallway'...
...past this little pool of spring water they would have used...
...along this ledge where you would have raised your kids...
...waiting in line at this spot for people to crawl through the next photo...
...on your knees to crawl through this only to find there is a hump in the road like the hump in the feet of the backseat of a car... over that hump and through another tunnel just like this one...
...up another ladder...
...up these vertigo-inducing stairs...
...and up one more ladder where you reach the top of the canyon cliff again. :D No fear!
Here is the top of a "finished" kiva which has likely been reconstructed. Notice the cool T-shaped doors again?
We got to go down inside a kiva.
Dale and Alana inside the kiva. It wasn't furnished real well...
Alana and me "grinding corn into meal." This made a horrible sound even without the corn and the guide said this would be happening all day. I can't imagine the ringing in your ears at night when everyone finally finished grinding their corn...
We decided to try the local restaurant for dinner the second night. It was... quite pricey... so we ordered appetizers for dinner which ended up being plenty filling. It was SUPER delicious! This is James's dinner - if I remember right, it's called the Prickly Turkey. It's turkey meat rolled in tortilla chip pieces, fried and glazed with prickly pear juice glaze. It was very yummy!
The gorgeous view leaving the park.
Us. I highly recommend this park. It was very fun! We spent two nights and did three tours in one day. There were other tours and a great little museum I could have spent hours in reading all the plaques, so you could easily spend two full days here. One day was a perfectly great taste!
1 comment:
I just got to say, you guys are so fun! Heidi, I love the way you write your stories. Alyssa and I miss hanging out with you and James. By the way, I have started watching the original Star Trek series as well!
Post a Comment