Tonight, we studied Alma 61 and the last verse talks about strengthening each other in the Lord. We have James's younger brother visiting us and so James began to teach us both about the doctrine of "strengthening in the Lord." James mentioned the idea that the Lord does not remove us from our trials but rather strengthens us to endure them. He then said:
"If the Lord simply lifted us out of our trials, it would be like running from rain storm to rain storm and never seeing the rainbow."Maybe James copied that from someone but I have never heard it. Either way, I admire the way he can expound scriptures and teach in a way that everyone feels the Holy Ghost and feels more intelligent and uplifted no matter what they already know about the gospel.
When James explained this concept tonight, it made me realize that we can actually make our lives more difficult and dreary by not fully experiencing our trials. By "escaping" the difficult times of life, we are really just going from trial to trial, getting a taste of the difficulty and then leaving before the beautiful resolution has time to set in.
I have never thought about trials as storms - that when the trial is over, there will be a rainbow that you will want to look for. I love going outside after a good hard rain storm, smelling the fresh, wet air, seeing the peculiar glow on the horizon, feeling the clean, new energy all around. There is a peace in that moment that says, "Try again. Today is a new day! Everything is refreshed and ready. Go!
And here's a rainbow to get you started."
I suppose what I'm trying to say in this tiny rant is that I'd like to view my trials in this manner more. I'd like to stop saying in my prayers, "Please remove this trial from my life," and start saying, "Please help me remember that there is beauty waiting at the end of this trial."
Speaking of trials, Abi is learning the trial of gravity and edges of cliffs like beds and strollers and stairs. This picture was taken during our family scripture study while in Rochester, NY. James is trying to read while holding onto Abi's ankle as she is peering over the edge of the bed. It's amazing how many times our lives have been saved and we didn't even know and still don't appreciate it. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment