"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Grandparents' Cabin

Over Labor Day weekend, James and I made it to the cabin this summer finally! (Our summer was a little busier than usual.) We totally missed cousin's camp which was so sad! We thought we could maybe make it for the end to show off Abi if the paperwork hurried, but it didn't so we were in Utah when the rest of my extended family was in Colorado. By the way, this is not a complaint. I would never complain about getting Abi. I am simply sad we couldn't finish our amazing week by introducing her to all her cousins!


So, what do we do at a cabin with no electricity and no cell reception? Relax!! A couple summers ago when James was really super stressed, I finally convinced him to get away from work for a few days and go to the cabin. The first night as we snuggled into bed, I remember James got a little emotional because he had forgotten what it meant to be truly relaxed. It's a glorious feeling, people! Sometimes, it is therapeutic to turn off everything with an on/off button and just listen to life. We don't do that enough anymore as a society.

Well, first thing you do at a cabin is don't get dressed until you absolutely have to! Days should start out by basking in the sunlight until the mountain air warms up a little.


You let the cousins play together and do risky things like hold each other when one is one-year-old and the other is six-weeks-old.


Then you continue sitting and watching as the cousins explore their surroundings. This cousin is particularly creative and found the most fashionable item in the cabin.


If you're a pregnant mom of the one-year-old then you take yet another nap. But you find an excuse for that nap by kidnapping the 6-week-old cousin who only wants to sleep as well. They make good sleeping buddies.


If you're the husband to the mom of the one-year-old, you take the one-year-old outside for a walk to the creek to find the seven-year-old cousin and uncle.


When you find them, you bring them back to sit on the porch in the sun.


If you're the women, you sit inside and enjoy a good book, conversation, or a baby or two.


This is what it means to RELAX. No emails, phone calls, or problems other than "What do you want to do next?" Thanks Grandpa and Grandmary for supplying such a wonderful vacation spot! We love it!

2 comments:

Katie said...

haha I love the commentary! And that was super brave of you to even let Daphney help hold Abi. What a good aunt! It made for some great pics.

Meagan said...

Oh man. I wish I lived closer!