"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Thursday, July 25, 2013

The biggest news of our lives! Part 2

Remember how we announced we were adopting? If you don't, you can read it here.

Well, now I have bigger news!!!!!!!!!!!!

She's here! Abigail Rose - the joy of our lives!

The story: We got a phone call back in April from our case worker saying she had a couple who was looking to place for adoption and they wanted to place with us. I kept my calm while I was on the phone but as soon as I hung up I cried. My poor adult piano student who was there with me was such a doll to cry with me. We were of course excited but very nervous because she wasn't due until July and that's a long time to change a mind. We have been through failed adoptions of all varieties and we didn't want to do it again.

We met the birth parents in June and loved them! It was nerve-wracking meeting someone who is about to give you the biggest wish of your life! They were great though and we got very excited for July to come. So excited, in fact, we came way too early, but we didn't want to miss the birth that the birth parents were so kind to invite us to.

Abi was born C-section which we were sad about at first because we weren't allowed in the room, but in the end, I'm glad. She came in about 10 minutes and she was cute right from the start with out any squishy head syndrome. :) The hospital was fantastic and offered us a room to stay in just like all the other moms and dads in labor. When Abi was finally brought to the nursery, the nurse came to get us and this is what we saw...
The nurse got her all cleaned up and by then, Abi's birth mother was all cleaned up and back in her room where we all met together to ooh and ahh over the youngest baby in the world.

James and I have never been happier!! I initially tried to hold in the excitement because I didn't want to look too much like a kid with five bucks in a candy shop, but I'm glad my happiness showed through in this picture.



It was a very difficult and long two days in the hospital. We were so stressed and worried and happy and ecstatic and tired and giddy and we couldn't show any of that too much. She wasn't officially ours in the beginning and so we couldn't count our chickens before they hatched, right? Even though ours had hatched and we wanted to count her so badly!!! When the birth parents signed the papers, we breathed a little easier and felt less stressed inside but we still tried to contain our happiness a little bit just to be sensitive to Abi's birth parents. We knew they were hurting very much at not being able to raise this sweet little girl. They are two of the most mature, loving people in the world for choosing a life for their daughter they knew they couldn't provide. We have SO much respect for them!

James got me, Abi's birth mother, and our caseworker all flowers to celebrate. What a good man!

When we were finally released to go home from the hospital, we picked Abi up from her birth parents' room, and James buckled her in. Her birth mother was so brave and even though she was hurting from the C-section, she insisted she walk out to our car with us to see her off. It was an emotional good-bye, but I felt so much love for those two people. They are such an answer to our prayers!

As we drove away, I finally let go and just cried. Then I called my dad and cried. I have just held in this emotion for too long and it all came out on that ride from the hospital.

She is such a joy to us! Now we are tired and I'm dreaming of sick children and falling asleep at 6pm. But that's ok, because this is what we have wanted to so long, we sound like Bill Cosby in his act about having a baby, "Look at the poo-poo!"


I will post more as we get better access to internet. I have great pictures of the hospital and adoption signing experience thanks to Summer! Get ready for more!

Also, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all who have prayed for us, who have thought of us, who have buoyed us up when we were down, who have had patience with our emotional roller coaster. We couldn't have enjoyed this moment nearly as much with out your constant support and we totally recognize that! Thank you!

3 comments:

Lanette said...

So happy for you and James! What a beautiful little girl, and what special birth parents. Such a lovely, spiritual story. So ecstatic for you all! Congratulations!

Meagan said...

I just can't get enough reading about your pretty little girl. So happy for you Heidi and James!

Kell Rogers said...

James and Heidi, I wish you all the best!