"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

For Anyone Who Wants to Know How the Crowther Family Parties...

I love holidays with my family! If you've kept up with my blog in the past, or you know my family, you may now also understand that there are two essential parts of any get together - especially holidays - food and games.

Well, let me share with you how Easter weekend went down...

We were finally all there together Thursday evening when the games officially began. We played a ridiculous amount of games! There was a game going on somewhere in the house the entire weekend. We had a pool tournament on Friday. I was James' partner and I started out great, but just like my bowling, the longer we went the worse I got. It's sad really. I'm not even totally sure I know who the winners were. Maybe James and me? I know we were in the finals but now I can't remember the outcome. You think this is crazy but ALL but maybe one of the games was won by scratching on the eight ball or putting the eight ball in before the end. We're really good at this game, basically, is all I'm trying to say here.



We also colored eggs on Friday. Katie and Jenny made a whole olympic event out of this but in the end they looked great so no complaints. I walked over after they'd spent like 2 hours and did my six eggs in about 15 minutes. Haha! Oh well. It is fun to be creative sometimes. I used the wax crayon to make a rabbit in some grass on my green egg. See it? (For some reason, blogger is rotating this photo so you have to crane your neck to see it. Sorry.)



On Saturday, the boys wenting hunting and the girls played games. After lunch, all the kids were kicked out of the house (This was supposed to be subtle with us girls taking the boys out to see the family of foxes living under a parking lot in town, but James does not just 'watch foxes that we've already seen.' There has to be purpose to everything apparently so we had to be extremely obvious in getting the boys out of the house so that the Easter eggs could be hidden, of course.) Silly James.

Well, we got home and Mom and Dad handed us each a plastic bag and told us to search anywhere in the yard. FYI, their yard is something like 2.2 acres. And they meant ANYWHERE in the yard. Haha! James and I were at a slight disadvantage (I'm sure Shane felt the same) but I've never lived at that house like the other kids have. I was already in college when they moved there so I feel a little foreign in my own yard and do not quite understand where our yard boundaries even are. And honestly, would they really hide eggs clear out at the edges? Yes, apparently. So, James and I got the fewest eggs I think. Jake got the most. However, I happened to also find two shoes, a cell phone, and the mail which I saved for bartering power. Keeping with tradition, the eggs were plastic and filled with coins, so I needed something to barter obviously. We ended up with $6.30. And no one would pay me for their belongings... I know. I should have kept them.

After the egg hunt, we drove to Marysville (45 minutes, 8 people, 7 seat van) to go to the movie theater. We got home, and grilled the delicious food you've seen in the previous post. Then, we played more games.

Sunday, we attended church, of course. It was great to see so many old friends and see how wonderfully the branch is doing there. Someday, it will be a great stake in Zion there in Hiawatha. That really is my dream and I'm sure it will happen eventually.

After church we came home to a very mouth watering smell of spiral ham - yum! We all helped get dinner ready as you can see in these photos... well almost everyone helped. :D







Can you believe that at this point we were all begging for naps? Haha! We were all awake again and excited for FHE at the traditional 6pm. I think Jake and Jenny were excited to have us home just so they didn't have so many assignments for once. We had a lovely lesson where we each picked one scripture that is a favorite and shared it with the family. How wonderful it is to strengthen each other with testimony and love! This was definitely a most memorable moment of the weekend.

For activity, we had a Rook tournament which basically means you play as much as possible and keep rotating between the winners and losers tables until someone has to quit. I started at the winners table and spend the rest of the night at the losers table. Oh well. There were a few fantastic hands though which I must share at this point...








Now let me mention food for a minute. Thursday, we had a scrumptious casserole with veggies and pasta and chicken. Friday, we made pizza fondue. Saturday, we ate shish-kabobs and turkey. Sunday we had spiral ham, corn bake, and rolls. Basically, there are too many good foods for just one weekend. It gets better...

Dad's birthday was that Tuesday, and Mom's was Wednesday. So, our wonderful neighbor lady brought over a pan of brownies and when I say a pan, I mean a cookie sheet. Not some measly 9x13, no. It was her famous recipe (at least famous in our house) and they are the most delicious brownies you will ever eat! One cookie sheet is never enough. Also, James and I brought an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen that would serve 16 people. Mom made a 9x13 of rice crispy treats that were butterscotch with chocolate on top and when those were gone I made a 9x13 with Neapolitan rice crispy treats. Then on Sunday, for Family Home Evening treats, Jenny made an angel food cake for strawberry short cake. NONE of this was left by Sunday night. NONE.

Like I said, we know how to eat.

We had also decided on two new traditions. Hehe! Oh these make me smile. First of all, we shall all hereafter have to weigh in when we arrive and weigh out when we leave. For curiousity's sake only, of course. Secondly, we will keep a running tally of winners of all games and tournaments and declare a winner and a loser at the end of the trip. The winner will get a nice prize while the loser will get a traveling trophy that they must keep until the next time. Obviously, it will have to be something less desirable. Haha! I can't wait until the next get together!

No comments: