"Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."
Doctrine and Covenants 68:6

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Roswell Alien Festival

Being that James and I live so close to such a national oddity and may not always live this close, we decided to add our presence to the annual Roswell New Mexico Alien Festival. I have to say I was amazed to see how much commotion can be created with just the right theme. It gives hope to future parties I'm planning...

Just to show how into this the town gets:
(Notice the Arby's sign.)





I love that "Clean Restroo" is included in the advertising. I think they are referring to soft cushy chairs in the shape of kangaroos that are available to any passer-bys that may be tired of walking.

And here is the most grass I have seen in New Mexico since I moved here... (James does not appreciate that comment.)


We drove through Roswell and continued on to Carlsbad (which will be covered in the next post), and the next day we stopped and walked around the chaos in Roswell. We only had about an hour but honestly, that's about all we needed. Overall, the alien creativity was impressive and entertaining but it was too hot to stick around too long.

We were hoping to go to the alien costume contest but we ran out of time. However, we saw many an alien. And we have evidence. Here they are:









These french-fried potatoes were AMAZING! I think this was originally 10 lbs of potatoes... or so... The guy drilled the potatoes through the blade right in front of us and that was extremely cool in a red-neck sort of way and if I can find a potato drilling machine for sale, I'm buying it!


Here are more aliens we found just outside of Carlsbad Caverns. Apparently they are not confined to Roswell.

No comments: